Debriefing

In case you missed the tumult of last week, scroll down a couple of posts. Or not.

Over the weekend, I've had a chance to digest my thoughts and reactions; this post is the result. Buzzwords are intentionally omitted, because these reflections are for myself primarily, and those who regularly choose to read my blog.

1) I do not think that people without an acceptance of Christ exactly like mine are not worth reading about. I adore books by dozens of authors whose characters aren't Christian. Perhaps my review was not clear enough on this point: my objection was to the author's deliberately crafted encouragement to accept a certain lifestyle as normal, directed at the publishing industry's most impressionable target audience. The fiction I value most is fiction that doesn't set out to educate. That's why I don't read much Christian children's fiction. There is always an educating moment. Obviously, an author's worldview will come out in their writing whether they intend for it to happen or not, but I really respect an author who holds back when it seems like it wouldn't do any harm to stick in an educating moment or two.

2) I do think that there are good people of many faiths, even if I feel that they aren't "right" or going to heaven. I know many such people who are sincere in their beliefs, yet, according to the Bible, unless they put their trust in Jesus, they're missing the truth. That knowledge makes my heart heavy with compassion for them, not hate or fear. And it certainly does not make me value them less as a human being.

3) I do believe that the Christian Bible is the only standard of truth and morality that has ever existed. If I didn't believe that, my review would have been 100% positive. Personal feelings are no justification for criticizing an author who encourages readers to accept a certain lifestyle as normal. Lots of people are smarter and more eloquent than me. Only on the basis that the Bible condemns that lifestyle would I write what I wrote, and continue to stand by it.

My sisters were watching Sophie Scholl last night, and I walked in on this scene.

I am not likening my recent visitors to the Nazi party. And I'm certainly not elevating my struggle to the level of a heroine like Sophie Scholl. But I am pointing out similarities in the principles behind each argument and the way those beliefs inevitably influenced their thoughts and actions.

"Why do you risk so much for false ideas?"

Because of my conscience.

5 comments:

Sonia said...

I find it interesting that you relate to Sophie. She asks, "How can you believe the Jews are different than we are?" Shouldn't you be asking yourself the same thing about lesbians? About Muslims?

You're missing the point of Laurel Snyder's book: it IS normal to walk down a street in any town and meet a family with two mothers (or that practices Islam). PENNY DREADFUL is not political in the slightest; Snyder doesn't have an agenda. Like she said, her book is honest. Even if you wish it weren't, it really, truly is.

My religion teaches me to accept all good people as "right", regardless of their beliefs, and I am proud to support and defend my homosexual friends against people like you with your "false ideas."

Collin Kelley said...

You are totally out of touch with reality. If anyone needs prayers it's you. For an open mind, heart and perhaps a bit more education and experience in the world. The very idea that YOU and Christians are the only ones who have access to heaven is breathtaking in its naivete and lack of understanding. I can see now you will never move beyond intolerance. You have been brainwashed and for that I can only offer my pity.

Brent Taylor said...

Just stop. Just stop, just stop, just stop. You're making yourself sound even more ignorant.

Anonymous said...

"The fiction I value most is fiction that doesn't set out to educate."

Do you want children to be complete morons with no brain of their own?

I pity you so much, not just because of your blind view to the world, but because it is clear that the little brain you use is being used for all the wrong reasons.

I pity your ignorance and your hate, and bid you good day.

Claire R said...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Period. I happen to believe euthanasia is wrong. I'm sure many of you would agree or disagree depending on your worldview which may or may not be affected by your religeous affiliation. True tolerance means accepting that others may hold a different opinion or belief than yours. Not seeing much of that in the comments people. Keep it up Noel.