Scoop of the e-e-evening: The Last Olympian

Reviewed by my brother Robbie, age 15

The final book of the Percy Jackson series is packed with non-stop action. By the end of the first chapter, there has already been a casualty, and the Princess Andromeda, a monster-infested cruise ship, has been blown up.

Percy returns to Camp Half-Blood with three beads in his necklace, hoping that he will be alive to add a fourth at the end of the summer. Things have gone from bad to worse at camp. With many of the demigods changing sides and supporting Kronos, the numbers at Camp Half-Blood are dwindling. Which is bad, because Kronos and his forces are gathering for an attack, and no one is quite sure where they will strike. And to top it all off, the gods have left Mount Olympus to battle Typhon, the father of all monsters, who has come out of hiding and is going on a cross-country trip leaving cities destroyed in his wake.

Percy discovers that in order for him to have a chance of defeating Kronos, he must take a trip to the Underworld and the river Styx, after which Percy gathers the half-bloods together to face the forces of Kronos alone, with no help from the gods.

There is so much in this book that I had trouble writing an adequate review. The Last Olympian is, in my opinion, the best of the series. All of the loose ends come together in a tight knot, with every strand touching another. I take my hat off to Rick Riordan for creating the perfect ending to his series and I look forward to reading his next Camp Half-Blood series.

2 comments:

Noël De Vries said...

I know I'll have to read them eventually. They're my brother's favorite.

Thanks for stopping by, Priya!

~Kathleen said...

I honestly believe this is one of the greatest series endings I've ever seen. No real curve balls at the end that make you go, "whaaa??", everything resolved itself, happy endings...blah blah blah... =) But yes, fantastic series--phenomenal ending.