G.K. Chesterton

In December, I was a Chesterton virgin. Tonight, I finished my fourth of his books.

Love Father Brown.

Love Orthodoxy.

And Manalive.

How can you resist:

"Why don't they make more games out of the wind?" he asked in some excitement. "Kites are all right, but why should it only be kites? Why, I thought of three other games for a windy day while I was climbing that tree. Here's one of them: you take a lot of pepper--"

"If we were snowed up in this room, we'd be the better for reading scores of books in that bookcase that we don't even know are there; we'd have talks with each other, good, terrible, talks, that we shall go to the grave without guessing..."

"...a mystic is one who holds that two worlds are better than one."

Go, and read him more.

7 comments:

brilynne said...

Yay! I vote for reading The Ball and the Cross. So good.

The Everlasting Man is next on my list.

What is Manalive about, anyway?

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of him before! I will check out The Ball and the Cross right now... :-)

Mike Duran said...

The Man Who was Thursday is by far my favorite Chesterton.

Noël De Vries said...

He WOULD have to be astonishingly prolific. My reading list just grew about fifteen feet.

Thanks for stopping by, guys. And Mike! Dude, you're alive! (I read Thursday last year, and I have to admit, it fluttered right over my head. Maybe I'll understand when I'm older.)

Noël De Vries said...

Oh, forgot, Bria. Manalive is about waking up to life. About living. Really living.

Rebachin said...

Have you experienced George MacDonald?
I believe he was a contemporary of Lewis and Chesterton (and Tolkien if my memory serves me right - but maybe I just group them all together erroneously)

I've only personally read The Wise Woman and Other Stories, but found the story of the Wise Woman to be quite mentally stimulating (she says in her most proper English accent)

Sadly, I started to read a Chesterton, Father Brown tale, but got busy with school and never came back to it.

Thanks for spinning an old great in a new light.

Cheers

Noël De Vries said...

No, you're right, they were all part of a sort of fantastic seven (as housed at Wheaton). I've read The Princess and the Goblin, and I really like At the Back of the North Wind, but The Wise Woman is still only on my to-be-read list. I purchased it for the library a couple of years ago, but still haven't gotten to it...

Oh, you should try Father Brown again. Yes, yes, yes!