Scoop of the e-e-evening: Kiki Strike: Inside the Shadow City

Five delinguent Girl Scouts, a million hunrey rats, one secret city beneath Manhattan, and a butt-kicking girl superspy--welcome to the world of Kiki Strike.

Catchy, no?

When I was 11 or 12, I adored The Three Investigators series. Kiki roused grinning memories of those stories--covert hideouts, practical detecting tips, and a league of smart, under-estimated, crime-fighting teenagers who rely on their own brains over technology.

I love the way Kirsten Miller doesn't slouch on even the smallest aspects of her story. Random example: the narrator's grandfather put his entire fortune in a trust fund for his descendants' education, to save them from the life of the idle rich. Her parents, however, ended up staying in school their entire lives, earning degrees and "accepting a few odd jobs here and there to cover the cost of food, clothing, and reading material." Such delicious tidbits make a story gleam.

It's the sort of book that has exact matches in readers: as I read, at least three people popped into my head who would devour the action and personalities that Miller delivers.

And there's another one! Kiki Strike: The Empress's Tomb. Hooray for sequels already in print!

3 comments:

Holly said...

Oh, I LOVE this book. One of my favorites for certain.

:Hooray for sequels already in print!:
Amen. :)

Nicole said...

Looks interesting... :)

I would have to say that sequals in print the THE BEST kind.

Erin said...

YAY KIKI STRIKE. :)