Scoop of the e-e-evening: An Abundance of Katherines

Bindy Mackenzie would be quite pleased with the way John Green cleans up his foxglove Printz-honor novel--just substitute "fug" each time that Other word comes to mind (every two paragraphs) and voila! a fairly decent read.

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. He's also a washed-up child prodigy with ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a passion for anagrams, and an overweight, Judge Judy-obsessed best friend. Colin's on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which will predict the future of all relationships, transform him from a fading prodigy into a true genius, and finally win him the girl.

It's a different kind of book ... an intellectual yet "authentic" YA (hence the Printz) full of quirky footnotes, anagrams, mathematical equations and one surprisingly meaty conclusion: stories are what make life meaningful. I found it intriguing to watch a guy handle love scenes, especially after just finishing a Sarah Dessen novel. Absolutely no description, all short, random dialogue and columns of ellipses. As in, they're in a dark cave, and they're not talking ... Interesting.

An Abundance of Katherines was definitely not my normal cup of tea, but then, Green's fanclub hardly needs my membership. He's such a god among YouTubers and readers alike, my apathy won't even be noticed.

2 comments:

Ms. Yingling said...

I liked this Green title, but didn't care for the others. There are so few humorous books for boys that this was a welcome addition. My 6th grade son really liked it.

Noël De Vries said...

Call me behind the times (depite being 21), but I don't know many 6th graders I would recommend the book to. Sex in the graveyard, tampon strings, an obsession with girlfriends ... it just seems a little above the humor level of the 6th graders I know.

Thanks for stopping by, Ms. Yingling, and for linking to me! Perhaps we can agree on other books in the future. :) (Although, I DO agree with your statement about too few light books for in-between boys.) Has your 6th grader tried Leepike Ridge, by N.D. Wilson?