Shakespeare Can Be Fun!

But working with third graders is hairy. I've been going over Lois Burdett's script for A Midsummer Night's Dream, in preparation for the annual Cousin Drama Camp in June. (Ten cousins, ranging from 3 to 21 ... we're never short on drama, let me tell you.) Last year's Twelfth Night was amazingly fun and easy, so we opted to tackle another comedy, albeit a comedy that requires someone to wear a burro pinata on his head (yes, we're giving it a Mexican flare, inspired by the culture-jumping in Branagh's As You Like It. Forget Greece.).

Once again, Shakespeare has written a play with half as many female parts as our family demands, but the girls will just have to stick on their beards and deal with it. I know. I'm such a Peter Quince. But somebody has to be the one screaming, "Quiet! 3-2-1 ..."

6 comments:

Nicole said...

sounds like fun.....

Erin said...

*grins* ditto what Marie said.

Noël De Vries said...

Yeah, Marie, it always SOUNDS fun, doesn't it? And then reality hits.

:)

Just kidding (mostly). What say you to being Hermia's father?

Holly said...

Hello! Thanks for the comment. :) Are you a Chicago-area denizen like myself? (Well, I'm only a part-timer..)

Noël De Vries said...

Downstate, actually. We were vacationing at an indoor waterpark nearby. But my extended family live in the suburbs.

Nicole said...

I could be Hermia's father. I'm still working on last minutes schedules , then I'll email you.