Scoop of the e-e-evening: The Lightning Thief

The Lightning Thief
by Rick Riordan

Reviewed by my 14 y/o brother, Robbie

Percy Jackson was a half-blood. He grew up believing that his dad was some rich guy that hadn’t been able to marry his mom because his relations wouldn’t have allowed it. And then, before Percy was born, his dad had gone on an ocean voyage and been lost at sea. Not dead, just lost. But when his math teacher turns into a Fury, and his best friend turns out to be a satyr, Percy starts wondering who his dad really is.

.

After being attacked by a Minotaur, Percy is forced to go to Camp Half-Blood, a camp where all of the demigods stay the summer and train for combat with monsters. It’s there that Percy’s father claims him. It turns out that Percy is the only son of Poseidon, and Poseidon isn’t supposed to have any children. But when Zeus’ Master Bolt is stolen and Poseidon is blamed, Percy has to go on a journey to the Underworld to retrieve the Master Bolt, and prevent a world war.

.

Percy takes two companions with him on his quest, Annabeth, daughter of Athena, and Grover, Percy’s best friend, a satyr that plays Hilary Duff songs on his reed pipe. But once he gets to the Underworld, Percy realizes that he’s been tricked. Now it’s a race to get out of Hades and to Mount Olympus (the 600th floor of the Empire State Building) with the Master Bolt before the summer solstice is over.

.

This book had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I read it in an afternoon and I am now waiting impatiently for Noel to get the second book in the series, The Sea of Monsters.

4 comments:

Nicole said...

This sounds really good. Has the sequel been written? If not, I might have a hard time starting this one; I don't really like waiting for books to come out. It drives me CRAZY not knowing what is going to happen. It is even worse when you don't realize you are reading the beginning of a series...(100 cupboards...)

Noël De Vries said...

The fourth title comes out in May, so you're in luck. Robbie is obsessed, to say the least.

BTW, the next book after 100 Cupboards comes out Dec 23rd, I think. It's 500 pages long!!

Nicole said...

!!!!! That one will keep me busy for a while! (500 pages! whew!!) I am looking forward to its release!

Framed said...

I just mooched this book recently and I'm glad to read such a favorable review.