Happy Poetry Month!


A song is but a little thing,
And yet what joy it is to sing!
In hours of toil it gives me zest,
And when at eve I long for rest;
When cows come home along the bars,
And in the fold I hear the bell,
As Night, the shepherd, herds his stars,
I sing my song, and all is well.
.
There are no ears to hear my lays,
No lips to lift a word of praise;
But still, with faith unfaltering,
I live and laugh and love and sing.
What matters yon unheeding throng?
They cannot feel my spirit's spell,
Since life is sweet and love is long,
I sing my song, and all is well.
.
My days are never days of ease;
I till my ground and prune my trees.
When ripened gold is all the plain,
I put my sickle to the grain.
I labor hard, and toil and sweat,
While others dream within the dell;
But even while my brow is wet,
I sing my song, and all is well.
.
Sometimes the sun, unkindly hot,
My garden makes a desert spot;
Sometimes a blight upon the tree
Takes all my fruit away from me;
And then with throes of bitter pain
Rebellious passions rise and swell;
But -- life is more than fruit or grain,
And so I sing, and all is well.
Paul Laurence Dunbar

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I like this poem. It is so... sweet, and it reminds us not to get upset when everything does not go the way we planned... to sing your song and praise God no matter what happens...

ellehasuly said...

Yes, it is always "something" and the choice to rejoice is sometimes an act of will alone. What joy we find when our will bends to the sound of heavenly choirs.

I shall have to read more Paul Laurence Dunbar. That is all there is to it.

Cup o'joy
and a fresh taste of the bread of heaven...

Lynne